When you join the DVF, you honor your revolutionary ancestor through our many activities and have the opportunity to form lifelong bonds with other members of the society. Any person of any age, regardless of race, religion, or ethnic background, who can prove lineal descent from a patriot of the American Revolution who wintered at Valley Forge during the Revolutionary War between December 19, 1777 and June 19, 1778, is eligible for membership. Members under the age of 18 are Junior members.
The Valley Forge National Historical Park Visitor Center displays the Muster Roll that lists many patriots at Valley Forge who are already accepted as qualifying ancestors. While it is not an all inclusive list, however, it may contain your ancestor's name. Having your ancestor listed on the Muster Roll is not a requirement to join; however it can be referenced as proof of your ancestor being at Valley Forge. You must, however, provide acceptable proof that the individual listed, military unit and rank, is in fact your ancestor. Similarity of name only is insufficient. Here is a list of Patriots Used by DVF Members to join. Please note that this is NOT an all-inclusive list of those who served at Valley Forge.
Proven information from applications from the following lineage societies have been approved for use as proof for any generation on the application as long as acceptable proof was provided for the information on that application:
National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, National Society Sons of the American Revolution, National Society Sons of the Revolution, The Society of the Cincinnati, Jamestowne Society, General Society of Mayflower Descendants, National Society Daughters of the American Colonists, National Society Sons and Daughters of the Pilgrims, The National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century, The Colonial Dames of America, National Society Daughters of Colonial Wars, General Society of Colonial Wars
Please provide a record copy of the approved lineage society application with the DVF application and cite it as the source.
If you do not have documentation proving your Patriot ancestor served at Valley Forge, one of the best sources for military service records is The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). To order the military record, you either purchase the (Pre-WWI) Military Service Records (NATF Form 86) online or complete the form and mail it to them. NARA will research their records, charging a fee, and return copies of their search, if found, to you.
We look forward to receiving your completed application and documentation, being able to approve your application, and welcoming you as a member of the Society of the Descendants of Washington’s Army at Valley Forge.
To apply for Membership
1. Download the DVF Application Checklist. Review it before completing the application.
2. Download the DVF Membership Application to your computer.
3. Complete the PDF application using your computer, checking to be sure you are following the DVF Application Checklist.
4. For each name, date, or place that is entered onto your application, documentation must support the exact entry. For example: If you know your grandfather's middle name, but it is not on his death certification that you are using for proof of his name, do not list it on the application. Only list what is found on the documentation.
5. Once you have the application completed, review the DVF Application Checklist to be sure the application follows all requests.
6. Contact the DVF Membership Chair, Sharon Mayne Withers, email@example.com before mailing your application. She will review everything with you to make sure you are ready to submit.
7. Mail your completed and reviewed application, documentation (with pertinent information underlined in red pencil and generations noted), and payment to the Deputy Commissary-General of Musters, Jennifer Garvin. Her address is on the application.
8. Please be patient with our Staff. We are all volunteers and will review your application as soon as possible. Thank you.
Questions about Membership or the Application Process?
Contact Membership Chair, Sharon Mayne Withers, firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about membership or the application process.
Benefits of Membership
Your family's veteran from the Revolutionary War is honored for his or her service. Coming soon, we will place a list of members' patriot ancestors on the website.
Members and their families receive an invitation to attend our annual Encampment, a three-day celebration of history at Valley Forge National Historical Park in June.
Members receive a subscription to our newsletter, The Encampment.
Members receive an official certificate of membership.
Members receive access to the DVF Members Facebook group and the Members Section of the website.
Members can vote at any General Membership Meetings.
Members can hold office within the society.
Members can purchase DVF insignia and merchandise.
Members enjoy the comaraderie of fellow men and women who want to preserve the history of the Valley Forge Encampment!